There is a $5,000 sign on bonus available for this position, with a two-year work commitment.
About Maple Grove Hospital
At Maple Grove Hospital, you're welcomed into an inclusive, nurturing health family that treats customers, as well as one another, with compassion and respect. Empathy and care are at the heart of our culture which is designed to actively support wellbeing and growth. The strength of our team lies in our diversity, and we embrace the unique contributions and experiences of each person. Together, we create a healing environment that empowers customers to achieve their best health.
About this position
The Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) is responsible for the collection and processing of customer specimens and the performance and evaluation of a full range of clinical laboratory tests to assist in the diagnosis and monitoring of customer treatment. Actively and consistently demonstrates the mission, vision, values and guiding principles of Maple Grove Hospital.
What we’ll expect from you
SPECIMEN COLLECTION, HANDLING AND PROCESSING:
1. Collects and processes specimens using universal infection and safety control protocols and according to established policies and procedures.
2. Verifies customer identification following specimen labeling policy and procedure.
3. Troubleshoots problems related to specimens and test orders, documents problems, and applies corrective action as necessary.
4. Ensures specimens are received, accessioned and delivered to the appropriate department in a timely manner while preserving specimen integrity. Rejects unacceptable specimens and initiates new collection procedure as warranted.
5. Notifies Clinical Laboratory Scientist Lead, Laboratory Manager, and/or appropriate medical staff of significant problems encountered with regard to collection, handling and processing.
Working independently and under general supervision the MLT:
1. Performs waived, moderate and high complexity clinical laboratory tests in accordance with policy and procedure for the diagnosis and treatment of customers, quality control verification, competency, and proficiency testing.
2. Prepares reagents, solutions and stains following standard laboratory formulas according to procedure while adhering to established laboratory safety protocol and minimizing waste.
3. Identifies and troubleshoots errors or problems occurring during test performance and documents problems, corrective action and resolutions.
4. Notifies Section Lead, Laboratory Lead or Laboratory Manager of problematic test performance.
TEST RESULT REPORTING:
1. Analyzes the validity of customer results in the context of customer age, growth/development status, diagnosis, disease state, and/or current treatments.
2. Validates, documents and reports results following standard operating procedures.
3. Compares customer results against established reference ranges and notifies providers of critical results. Documents all results as required by procedure.
INSTRUMENTS, QUALITY CONTROL AND QUALITY ASSURANCE:
1. Performs and documents preventative maintenance according to instrument procedure and regulatory agencies.
2. Troubleshoots instrument malfunctions documenting corrective action according to instrument procedure and calls instrument contracted service as warranted by procedure.
3. Performs quality control procedures and verifies quality control results before reporting customer results.
4. Notifies department supervisor, Lead or Laboratory Manager of instrument and/or quality control problems.
1. Participates in maintaining inventory to ensure proper levels of supplies within each laboratory department.
2. Utilizes laboratory supplies and equipment in an efficient, cost-effective manner.
1. Completion of a minimum of 12 hours of continuing education hours annually to maintain national certification.
2. Assists Lead and Laboratory Manager in the orientation and training of new team members.
3. Participates in all required in-service training, laboratory meetings and other additional assigned training.
4. Maintains skill proficiency, including improvement where deemed necessary and attains new skills as required.
5. Participates in development and/or evaluation of new methodologies, instruments, policies, and procedures.
6. Recognizes and complies with legal regulatory, accrediting and procedural requirements related to area of responsibility.
7. Understands and follows principles and standards as outlined in Maple Grove Hospital’s Code of Conduct.
8. Protects customer and team member privacy and only accesses customer and/or team member related information as needed to perform job duties.
9. Reports violations or areas of concern to leader or Corporate Compliance Officer via established methods of communication.
Interested? Here are our requirements
• Associate degree in Medical Laboratory Technology from an accredited school as identified by NAACLS or CLIA.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS
• 2+ years’ prior experience as a Medical Laboratory Technician preferred.
• Superior ability to multi-task, prioritize multiple projects, adjust to changing workflow and workload accordingly.
• Ability to take initiative, be self-motivated and an independent, accountable, dependable performer.
• Strong communication skills with demonstrated ability to express ideas and information (both in written and oral form) clearly and concisely in a manner appropriate to the audience.
• Demonstrated ability to deal with conflict in a positive manner. Has an awareness of, responds to, and considers the needs, feelings and capabilities of others. Interacts with customers, families, guests, and all MGH team members in a professional manner.
• Ability to be accountable for quality customer service and respond appropriately to a variety of personalities and situations.
• Ability to maintain quality, safety, and infection control standards.
• Must be able to read, write and speak effectively in English.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
• Knowledge and practice of standard laboratory safety practices and procedures.
• Demonstrated ability to operate standard laboratory equipment.
• Solid computer skills and knowledge and use of Laboratory Information Systems
• Adheres to HIPAA regulations and other regulations set forth by the laboratory regulatory agencies.
• ASCP or equivalent certification or eligible to sit for Board or Registry exam. Certification must be completed within six months of hire.
Hours per two week pay period: 56
Weekend Requirement: Every 3rd Weekend
Work Group: Maple Grove
Call Requirement: None
Remote or On-site: On-site
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt