About this position
The Pharmacist coordinates the medication distribution and clinical pharmacy activities for nursing and support departments within the hospital, and is responsible for safe and efficient methods for coordination of established pharmacy policies concerning customer care. The Pharmacist provides clinical drug information to meet the needs of the customer, nurse and physician. Actively and consistently demonstrates the mission, vision, values and guiding principles of Maple Grove Hospital.
What we’ll expect from you
1. Dispenses medications, advises physicians, nurses, and other health professionals on medication decisions, and assists the Pharmacy Manager in the day-to-day operation of the pharmacy, providing leadership and guidance for support staff to ensure adherence to accreditation, regulatory standards, and policies and procedures.
2. Reviews and interprets physicians' orders for appropriateness relevant to other departments (i.e., medications for diagnostic procedures, laboratory tests, etc.) and ensures that overdoses/under doses have not been prescribed and that interactions, incompatibilities, or toxic compounds will not result from the combination of medications.
3. Assures that medications are appropriately labeled, stored, and utilized according to physicians' instructions.
4. Maintains necessary controls with respect to audited controlled substances.
5. Supervises pre-packing of medications.
6. Performs medication reconciliation.
7. Provides medication information such as dosing, compatibilities, formulary substitutes, etc. to nursing, physicians and other health care practitioners.
8. Prepares specialized solutions for administration via intravenous route such as antibiotics, etc. and ensures that the stability and sterility of these solutions is appropriate for customer use.
9. Participates in in-service education programs when requested.
10. Arranges to obtain medications in an emergency situation.
11. Verifies the work performed by supporting personnel which includes, but is not limited to, customer medication data entry, unit-dose drug distribution policies and procedures.
12. Maintains up-to-date knowledge of the profession by participation in organization memberships; attendance at meetings, lectures, in-services, seminars; reading journals; comply with National Standards of Continuing Education in order to maintain professional competency and proficiency.
13. Participates in clinical programs instituted in the department such as drug level monitoring, antibiotic monitoring, pharmacokinetic consults, etc.; communicate with Pharmacy Manager on such issues as necessary.
14. Participates in emergency code response teams.
15. Fulfills all the responsibilities of a pharmacist according to Federal and State Board rules, regulations and guidelines.
16. Recognizes and complies with legal regulatory, accrediting and procedural requirements related to area of responsibility.
17. Understands and follows principles and standards as outlined in Maple Grove Hospital's Code of Conduct.
18. Protects customer and team member privacy and only accesses customer and/or team member related information as needed to perform job duties.
19. Reports violations or areas of concern to leader or Corporate Compliance Officer via established methods of communication.
Interested? Here are our requirements
• B.S. Degree or Pharm.D in Pharmacy from an accredited school of pharmacy.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
• Three+ years Practicing Pharmacist in a hospital setting or completion of a hospital residency preferred.
• Superior service-orientation, communication and interpersonal skills.
• Maintains confidentiality of customers, family, and staff in accordance with HIPAA and PHI parameters.
• Ability to take initiative, be self-motivated and an independent, accountable, dependable performer.
• Demonstrated ability to interact with customers, families, guests, and all levels of team members.
• Demonstrated ability to deal with conflict in a positive manner. Has an awareness of, responds to, and considers the needs, feelings and capabilities of others.
• Strong communication skills with demonstrated ability to express ideas and information clearly and concisely in a manner appropriate to the audience.
• Ability to maintain quality, safety, and infection control standards.
• Ability to be accountable for quality customer service and respond appropriately to a variety of personalities and situations.
• Effective planning, organizational and detail-oriented skills.
• Solid PC skills to include Epic, Pyxis, MS applications, Internet, etc.
• Must be able to read, write and speak effectively in English. • Computer Skills.
• Current Minnesota Pharmacy License required.
• Current BLS, ACLS, NRP certifications required.
Hours per two week pay period: 80
Shift: Nights 10 hours
Weekend Requirement: Every Other Weekend
Work Group: Maple Grove
Call Requirement: None
Hours: 2100-0700 7 days on 7 days off. Shifts start Thursday through Wednesday.