About this position
The Sterile Processing Department (SPD) Technician is responsible to receive, separate, decontaminate soiled surgical instruments and assemble, package surgical instruments and equipment for sterilization or High Level Disinfection as appropriate, and reassemble surgical instrument trays. Actively and consistently demonstrates the mission, vision, values and guiding principles of Maple Grove Hospital.
What we’ll expect from you
1. Receives soiled surgical instruments from operating room (OR) and manually cleans and decontaminates equipment, carts, and work areas to remove infectious microorganisms and body fluids.
2. Reprocess all flexible endoscopes.
3. Operates washers, sterilizers and ultrasonic cleaners and returns clean instruments to their proper location.
4. Manually opens, cleans and decontaminates instrumentation to remove infectious waste and body fluids from all reusable instrumentation in preparation for mechanical or hand wash decontamination.
5. Inspects surgical, diagnostic and procedural instrumentation for cleanliness to prevent transmission of nosocomial infections.
6. Inspects instruments to guarantee proper parts match to ensure appropriate function and minimize possible injury and follows standard process for reporting instruments in need of repair, and of those missing from trays.
7. Assembles instrument trays accurately, orderly, and in an efficient manner according to the established guides.
8. Inventories, orders, stocks and distributes surgical instruments and supplies.
9. Assists with creating tray/set recipes and helps maintain changes.
10. Assists the Service Line Coordinators in the OR to plan for instruments needed the following day including turnarounds and consignment sets and verifies daily OR orders and correctly sets up instrument trays needed for OR procedures; ensure proper records are maintained on order sets.
11. Communicates inventory needs to the appropriate persons.
12. Fills out sterilization records with precision to include verification of the sterilization parameters for steam, EtO and Sterrad.
13. Demonstrates knowledge of correct packaging materials/containers needed for steam, gas, and sterrad processing.
14. When wrapping, correctly identifying items by checking that contents and containers/trays matches recipe and includes correct product location (department).
15. At change of shift, presents a clear and accurate report to the next shift regarding important instrument and equipment information.
16. Recognizes and complies with legal regulatory, accrediting and procedural requirements related to area of responsibility.
17. Understands and follows principles and standards as outlined in Maple Grove Hospital's Code of Conduct.
18. Protects customer and team member privacy and only accesses customer and/or team member related information as needed to perform job duties.
19. Reports violations or areas of concern to leader or Corporate Compliance Officer via established methods of communication.
Interested? Here are our requirements
• High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
• 1+ years' experience in Sterile Processing Department preferred.
• Possesses knowledge of surgical instruments, common medical terminology and abbreviations relating to surgical procedures.
• Effective planning, organizational and detail-oriented skills.
• Solid PC skills to include, MS applications, Internet, etc.
• Strong communication skills with demonstrated ability to express ideas and information (both in written and oral form), clearly and concisely in a manner appropriate to the audience.
• Demonstrated ability to deal with conflict in a positive manner. Has an awareness of, responds to, and considers the needs, feelings and capabilities of others.
• Ability to be accountable for quality customer service and respond appropriately to a variety of personalities and situations.
• Ability to maintain quality, safety, and infection control standards.
• Must be able to read, write and speak effectively in English.
• Sterile Processing Technician Certification or Surgical Technician certification preferred.
Hours per two week pay period: 0
Shift: Day/Evening/Night Variable
Weekend Requirement: Occasional Weekends
Work Group: Maple Grove
Call Requirement: Occasional Call