This position is eligible for a sign-on bonus of $2100. Sign-on bonuses are prorated based on hours scheduled. Current team members or former team members employed by North Memorial Health, Maple Grove Health or Blaze Health in the last six (6) months are not eligible to receive a sign on bonus. Sign-on bonuses have a repayment commitment, and a prorated repayment is required if the commitment is not fulfilled.
About Maple Grove Hospital
At Maple Grove Hospital, you're welcomed into an inclusive, nurturing health family that treats customers, as well as one another, with compassion and respect. Empathy and care are at the heart of our culture which is designed to actively support wellbeing and growth. The strength of our team lies in our diversity, and we embrace the unique contributions and experiences of each person. Together, we create a healing environment that empowers customers to achieve their best health.
About this position
The Nursing Assistant is responsible for assisting the care team by providing supportive, comforting and compassionate care to customers and families. Receives direction and collaborates with the care team to meet identified goals of the customer, shift, care center, and hospital. Regularly communicates with care team related to progress, concerns, questions, or issues that arise. Duties may vary based on the assigned customer care center and may include differences in clinical skills required of the Nursing Assistant. Actively and consistently demonstrates the mission, vision, values and guiding principles of Maple Grove Hospital.
What we’ll expect from you
1. Monitors customer care experience and safety through observation, collection of data and documents accurately and promptly.
2. Promotes and maintains a safe environment including infection prevention practices, i.e. hand hygiene, and accountability of self and others.
3. Provides supportive, comforting and compassionate care to customers and families.
4. Communicates customer concerns and authorizations related to nursing interventions to assigned RN or Customer Care Facilitator.
5. Collaborates in the planning of customer care.
6. Performs treatments and procedures as required by customer care plan and within the defined scope of practice including; point of care testing.
7. Collaborates with customers, families and licensed care providers to encourage customer and family participation in developing care plan.
8. Provides continuity of customer care by partnering with assigned physician, RN, customers, and other care providers.
9. Identifies and responds promptly and effectively to emergent situations.
10. Serves as an advocate for customers, families, peers, and other care providers.
11. Transports customers to tests, procedures, assigned room. Transporting includes, but is not limited to, assisting customers to prepare for transport, assisting customers into/out of bed, assisting customers into/out of wheelchair/cart, and providing safe/timely transportation to predetermined locations. Utilizes safe patient handling equipment to move customers and completes in a timely manner.
12. Transfers and/or assists department staff in transferring customers to/from beds, carts and wheelchairs using proper technique to avoid self-injury, other team member injury, and patient injury.
13. Expert in safe patient handling and emergency management equipment. Teaches and provides support to clinical team on the use of SPH and emergency management equipment (i.e. bed sleds, wheelchair used in stair wells, etc.).
14. Perform routine cleaning or disinfecting for safe patient handling and patient transport equipment including wheelchairs, hospital beds and portable medical equipment. Provide documentation of any repairs, maintenance required, or mechanical failures in timely manner.
15. Recognizes and complies with legal regulatory, accrediting and procedural requirements related to area of responsibility.
16. Understands and follows principles and standards as outlined in Maple Grove Hospital’s Code of Conduct.
17. Protects customer and team member privacy and only accesses customer and/or team member related information as needed to perform job duties.
18. Reports violations or areas of concern to leader or Corporate Compliance Officer via established methods of communication.
19. Assists with admission process by; Orienting customers to room and unit, assists customers with proper storage of valuables, and belongings. Identifies and applies appropriate customer risk bands per policy
20. Assists with End of Life process by; performing postmortem care of the customers as per policy
21. Obtains Vital Signs; Blood pressure - automated and manual, Temperature – oral, Pulse, Respirations, Oxygen saturations, comfort rating as per order. Also upon RN delegation for times other than those that are ordered
22. Timely notification to RN of abnormal findings (VS that turn RED in Epic when entered, etc.)
23. Performs routine ADLs per shift including daily hygiene and urinary catheter care
24. Uses customer assistive devices (glasses, hearing aids, walkers, etc)
25. Performs range of motion exercises and ambulation as ordered
26. Assists at meal times with identified customer needs
27. Completes admission & daily weights
28. Measures and documents customers intake/output
29. Uses non-pharmacological interventions to help support pain management as delegated by RN
30. Uses de-escalation techniques & interventions as needed after close observation training
31. Completes Elopement Protocol/Linens as per policy
32. Follows Suicide Precautions as per policy
33. Performs 1:1 observation as per policy
34. Performs Blood glucose point of care testing
35. Applies pneumoboots/anti-embolic devices, heat/cold packs, and ECG/telemetry patch applications
36. Removes urinary catheters and peripheral saline lock as delegated by RN
37. Obtains, labels, and transports specimens as per policy
38. Assists with Oxygen therapy - help customers with refitting nasal cannula or mask and locating portable oxygen as needed
39. Prepares rooms for new customers
40. Assists with cleaning of supplies and equipment
41. Assists with maintaining unit order, including utility room order, customer room trash/linen and nurse service supplies
42. Utilizes the following equipment:
o Customers beds and carts
o Bladder scanners
o Vital sign monitors
o Pneumatic Tube Use
o Safe-T-pump, including nightly maintenance
o Safe Customer Handling Equipment (Hoyer Lift, Hover Matt, Stand Aid)
o Specialty bed/mattress
Interested? Here are our requirements
High school diploma or equivalent.
Must have one of the following:
• Successful completion of a Certified Nursing Assistant program from an accredited school or program and successful completion of state of MN administered certification exam for nursing assistants OR
• Completion of one (1) semester of clinical rotation within an accredited nursing program
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS
• 1+ years’ nursing assistant experience in a clinic, hospital or nursing home setting preferred.
• Ability to be anticipatory to the needs of the customer; to take initiative, be self-motivated and a proactive, independent, accountable, dependable performer.
• Strong communication skills with demonstrated ability to express ideas and information (both in written and oral form), clearly and concisely in a manner appropriate to the audience.
• Demonstrated ability to deal with conflict in a positive manner. Has an awareness of, responds to, and considers the needs, feelings and capabilities of others.
• Ability to be accountable for quality customer service and respond appropriately to a variety of personalities and situations.
• Ability to maintain quality, safety, and infection control standards.
• Must be able to read, write and speak effectively in English.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
• Knowledge of nursing theory and practice and primary care principles and practices.
• Current BLS certification required.
Hours per two week pay period: 56
Shift: Nights 8 hours
Weekend Requirement: Every Other Weekend
Work Group: Maple Grove
Call Requirement: None
Remote or On-site: On-site
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt