About Maple Grove Hospital
At Maple Grove Hospital, you're welcomed into an inclusive, nurturing health family that treats customers, as well as one another, with compassion and respect. Empathy and care are at the heart of our culture which is designed to actively support wellbeing and growth. The strength of our team lies in our diversity, and we embrace the unique contributions and experiences of each person. Together, we create a healing environment that empowers customers to achieve their best health.
About this position
The Nursing Assistant and Patient Flow Assistant shares both Nursing Assistant and Patient Flow Assistant job responsibilities.
Nursing Assistant: Responsible for assisting the care team by providing supportive, comforting and compassionate care to customers and families. Receives direction and collaborates with the care team to meet identified goals of the customer, shift, care center, and hospital. Regularly communicates with care team related to progress, concerns, questions, or issues that arise.
Patient Flow Assistant: Provides continuous care support to all individuals involved for each customer by performing reception and clerical activities and maintaining care center workflow for team member, physicians, customers, and families. Participates in the execution of Customer Safety Goals by ensuring Customer privacy and accuracy of customer identification, improving effectiveness of communication among care providers, and responding to customer alarms by alerting appropriate team member.
Duties may vary based on assignment of customer care units including but not limited to differences in clinical skilled required of the Nursing Assistant, variations in workflow and customer record management. Actively and consistently demonstrates the mission, vision, values and guiding principles of Maple Grove Hospital.
What we’ll expect from you
1. Monitors customer experience of care and safety through observation and collection of data.
2. Provides supportive, comforting and compassionate care to customers and families.
3. Communicates customer concerns and authorizations related to nursing interventions to assigned RN or Patient Care Facilitator.
4. Collaborates in the planning of customer care.
5. Performs treatments and procedures as required by customer care plan and within the defined scope of practice including; point of care testing.
6. Collaborates with customers, families and licensed care providers to encourage customer and family participation in developing care plan.
7. Facilitates and provides continuity of customer care by partnering with assigned physician, RN, customers, and other care providers.
8. Identifies and responds promptly and effectively to emergent situations.
9. Serves as an advocate for customers, families, peers, and other care providers.
10. Transports customers to tests, procedures, assigned room. Transporting includes, but is not limited to, assisting customers to prepare for transport, assisting customers into/out of bed, assisting customers into/out of wheelchair/cart, and providing safe/timely transportation to predetermined locations. Utilizes safe patient handling equipment to move customers and completes in a timely manner.
11. Transfers and/or assists department staff in transferring customers to/from beds, carts and wheelchairs using proper technique to avoid self-injury, other team member injury, and patient injury.
12. Expert in safe patient handling and emergency management equipment. Teaches and provides support to clinical team on the use of SPH and emergency management equipment (i.e. bed sleds, wheelchair used in stair wells, etc.).
13. Perform routine cleaning or disinfecting for safe patient handling and patient transport equipment including wheelchairs, hospital beds and portable medical equipment. Provide documentation of any repairs, maintenance required, or mechanical failures in timely manner.
14. Assists with admission process by; Orienting customers to room and unit, assists customers with proper storage of valuables, and belongings. Identifies and applies appropriate customer risk bands per policy.
15. Assists with End of Life process by; performing postmortem care of the customers as per policy.
16. Obtains Vital Signs; Blood pressure - automated and manual, Temperature – oral, Pulse, Respirations, Oxygen saturations, comfort rating as per order. Also upon RN delegation for times other than those that are ordered.
17. Timely notification to RN of abnormal findings (VS that turn RED in Epic when entered, etc.)
18. Performs routine ADLs per shift including urinary catheter care.
19. Uses customer assistive devices (glasses, hearing aids, walkers, etc.).
20. Performs range of motion exercises and ambulation as ordered.
21. Assists at meal times with identified customer needs.
22. Completes admissions & daily weights.
23. Measures and documents customers intake/output.
24. Uses non-pharmacological interventions to help support pain management as delegated. by RN.
25. Uses de-escalation techniques & interventions as needed after close observation training.
26. Completes Elopement Protocol/Linens as per policy.
27. Follows Suicide Precautions as per policy.
28. Performs 1:1 observation as per policy.
29. Performs Blood glucose point of care testing.
30. Applies pneumoboots/anti-embolic devices, heat/cold packs, and ECG/telemetry patch applications.
31. Removes urinary catheters and peripheral saline lock as delegated by RN.
32. Obtains, labels, and transports specimens as per policy.
33. Assists with Oxygen therapy - help customers with refitting nasal cannula or mask and locating portable oxygen as needed.
34. Prepares rooms for new customers.
35. Assists with cleaning of supplies and equipment.
36. Assists with maintaining unit order, including utility room order, customer room trash/linen and Nurse server supplies.
37. Utilizes the following equipment:
o Customers beds and carts
o Bladder scanners
o Vital sign monitors
o Pneumatic Tube Use
o Safe-T-pump including nightly maintenance
o Safe Customer Handling Equipment (Hoyer Lift, Hover Matt, Stand Aid)
o Specialty bed/mattress
In addition to Nursing Assistant responsibilities, this position is also accountable for responsibilities as a;
Patient Flow Assistant:
1. Facilitates the workflow of customer care by prioritizing work.
2. Coordinates communication to effectively support internal and external customers in the delivery of customer care.
3. Communicates pertinent information to the appropriate care team members.
4. Notifies physician, Patient Care Facilitator, RN or other care team member of STAT/now procedures and orders.
5. Maintains customer records by managing order transcription, filing information, ensuring customer identification on all forms, and thinning charts as needed.
6. Maintains and orders unit supplies.
7. Manages Admission/Observation status orders and event management per policy.
8. Tracks accommodations codes and ensure appropriateness based on MD orders (Epic) per policy.
9. Reviews pending patients in/out in Epic, Discharge/Transfer in EPIC.
10. Prepares for patient transfers/discharges including emergent/urgent transfers: copy chart, call for transportation.
11. Assists with End of Life process: Follows postmortem process.
12. Places referrals/consults for the following; physician groups, social services, home health, interpreters, etc.
13. Places calls for in-house consults including; dietician, chaplain, diabetic educator, etc.
14. Completes PICC stats consults orders.
15. Calls in ECHO consults on weekends.
16. Obtains customers imaging CD per policy.
17. Follows departmental process in answering departmental phones by; introduces self, transfers phone calls, dates & times messages, keeps hold times to a minimal.
18. Follows departmental policies including; Service Recovery, elopement and holds policy, Cardiac Monitoring policy.
19. Responsible for answering call lights and notifying staff when patient needs help.
20. Creates new charts, manages existing charts, and tears down chart for discharged patients.
21. Enters data into Epic as delegated by RN.
22. Completes telemetry documentation.
23. Retrieves discharge times out of census in EPIC.
24. Orders treatment equipment as requested.
25. Responsible for directing traffic in Rapid Response/Code Blue/Code Pink Updates patient admit/transfer/discharge logs.
26. Participates in department Epic downtime procedures monthly checks.
27. Retrieves medical records when needed.
28. Enters staff/assignments into the nurse call system (Vocera).
29. Delivers incoming mail to staff mailboxes.
30. Updates employee phone list with new hire information.
31. Updates LOA/on call lists with dates.
32. Initiate follow up PCP appointments.
33. Update treatment team in Epic.
Interested? Here are our requirements
High school diploma or equivalent.
Must have one of the following:
• Successful completion of a Certified Nursing Assistant program from an accredited school or program and successful completion of state of MN administered certification exam for nursing assistants OR
• Completion of one (1) semester of clinical rotation within an accredited nursing program
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS
• 1+ years’ nursing assistant experience in a clinic, hospital or nursing home setting preferred.
• 1+ years’ health unit coordinator, scheduling or registration experience in a hospital, clinic, or physician’s office preferred.
• Able to be anticipatory to the needs of the customer; to take initiative, be self-motivated and a proactive, independent, accountable, dependable performer.
• Demonstrated ability to positively interact with customers, families, guests, and all levels of team members.
• Solid PC skills to include MS applications, Internet, electronic medical record, etc.
• Strong communication skills with demonstrated ability to express ideas and information (both in written and oral form), clearly and concisely in a manner appropriate to the audience.
• Demonstrated ability to deal with conflict in a positive manner. Has an awareness of, responds to, and considers the needs, feelings and capabilities of others.
• Ability to be accountable for quality customer service and respond appropriately to a variety of personalities and situations.
• Ability to maintain quality, safety, and infection control standards.
• Must be able to read, write and speak effectively in English.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
• Knowledge of nursing theory and practice and primary care principles and practices.
• Ability to interpret cardiac telemetry rhythms and manage the electronic monitoring system.
• Current BLS required.
Hours per two week pay period: 56
Shift: Day/Evening 8 & 12 hours
Weekend Requirement: Every 3rd Weekend
Work Group: Maple Grove
Call Requirement: Occasional Call
Remote or On-site: On-site
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt