This position is eligible for a sign-on bonus of $2,000. Sign-on bonuses are prorated based on hours scheduled. Current team members or former team members employed by North Memorial Health, Maple Grove Health or Blaze Health in the last six (6) months are not eligible to receive a sign on bonus. Sign-on bonuses have a repayment commitment, and a prorated repayment is required if the commitment is not fulfilled.
About Maple Grove Hospital
At Maple Grove Hospital, you're welcomed into an inclusive, nurturing health family that treats customers, as well as one another, with compassion and respect. Empathy and care are at the heart of our culture which is designed to actively support wellbeing and growth. The strength of our team lies in our diversity, and we embrace the unique contributions and experiences of each person. Together, we create a healing environment that empowers customers to achieve their best health.
About this position
The Security Officer is responsible for providing a safe and secure environment for customers, visitors, team members and medical staff. Actively and consistently demonstrates the mission, vision, values and guiding principles of Maple Grove Hospital.
What we’ll expect from you
1. Conducts tours of the hospital maintaining security, visibility and assistance to team members, customers, and visitors and ensuring security, and to detect and prevent fire, theft, property damage and unauthorized persons.
2. Escorts customers, visitors and team members to ad from parking lots.
3. Issues and registers after hours visiting passes to visitors entering the hospital through the ECC or Main Entrance.
4. Assists police departments with disruptive persons, crisis customers and legal blood draws.
5. Initiates and follows standard operating procedure for disaster and weather incidents as per department protocol.
6. Assists in Aircare customer transport as needed.
7. Removes individuals who exhibit inappropriate behavior, disorderly conduct and/or who pose a threat to team members, customers and visitors from hospital property.
8. Assists nursing team members in maintaining a safe environment through verbal and physical control of confused or disruptive customers.
9. Controls fire incidents until the fire department arrives and serves as a liaison with the fire department.
10. Makes rounds of entire campus to detect and report hazards and takes appropriate, corrective action as indicated by the hazard.
11. Conducts hospital fire drills as scheduled and documents monthly inspections of fire extinguishers.
12. Participates in Emergency Preparedness Drills and other related compliance activities.
13. Enforces the “Tobacco Free” policies.
14. Instructs hospital team members on standard operating procedures for life safety issues, severe weather, external and internal disasters, and personal safety. Acts as a liaison to other hospital departments.
15. Utilizes the security dispatch and report writing system.
16. Documents reports, including details in the event of stolen property, accidents, safety/security violations, fire hazards and violent incidents.
17. Provides assistance to all departments as needed.
18. Removes the deceased from customer rooms to the on-site morgue; assists with removing the deceased from the property. Facilitates necessary paperwork for release of bodies and limbs to authorized funeral home or medical examiner.
19. Assists with parking, traffic problems and enforces parking regulations.
20. Procures supplies from Material Management on an emergency basis.
21. Opens non-flammable gas cylinder room for public safety agencies. Documents release of cylinders. Unlocks doors as requested and authorized.
22. Notified Maintenance Department when defects are discovered or reported.
23. Secures/dispenses customer valuables and accurately logs all valuables accepted/dispensed by the department.
24. Releases organizational keys to authorized persons, e.g. vendors, contractors, etc.
25. Secures/safeguards police officer’s weapons.
26. Secures/safeguards all property noted to be evidence by law enforcement agencies. Wears duty belt and carries industry standard equipment, including but not limited to, by policy; radio, handcuffs, chemical spray, expandable baton and an Energy Weapon (TASER).
27. Scheduled Security Posts: Monitors security systems to include CCTV, panic, elevator, fire, and other alarms; Maintains on-going communications with triage nurse, primary care nurses, and/or administrative designee.
28. Recognizes and complies with legal regulatory, accrediting and procedural requirements related to area of responsibility.
29. Understands and follows principles and standards as outlined in Maple Grove Hospital’s Code of Conduct.
30. Protects customer and team member privacy and only accesses customer and/or team member related information as needed to perform job duties.
31. Reports violations or areas of concern to leader or Corporate Compliance Officer via established methods of communication
Interested? Here are our requirements
• High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) required.
• Must satisfactorily complete the Maple Grove Hospital Security Officer Restraint Techniques and Defensive Tactics training within three months of employment.
• Post-secondary education in security, law enforcement, or criminal justice program preferred.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
• 1 year military/police/security experience dealing with confrontational situations preferred.
• Healthcare security experience preferred.
• Strong communication skills with demonstrated ability to express ideas and information (both in written and oral form), clearly and concisely in a manner appropriate to the audience.
• Demonstrated ability to deal with conflict in a positive manner. Has an awareness of, responds to, and considers the needs, feelings and capabilities of others.
• Ability to be accountable for quality customer service and respond appropriately to a variety of personalities and situations.
• Ability to maintain quality, safety, and infection control standards.
• Must be able to read, write and speak effectively in English.
• Basic computer knowledge required
• Current BLS certification.
• Must have the International Association of Hospital Security and Safety Basic Certification or complete within six months of hire.
Hours per two week pay period: 80
Shift: Day/Evening 8 & 12 hours
Weekend Requirement: Every Other Weekend
Work Group: Maple Grove
Call Requirement: None
Remote or On-site: On-site
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt