About Maple Grove Hospital
At Maple Grove Hospital, you're welcomed into an inclusive, nurturing health family that treats customers, as well as one another, with compassion and respect. Empathy and care are at the heart of our culture which is designed to actively support wellbeing and growth. The strength of our team lies in our diversity, and we embrace the unique contributions and experiences of each person. Together, we create a healing environment that empowers customers to achieve their best health.
About this position
The Pharmacy Technician assists in the daily operations and customer service of the pharmacy, as directed by the Pharmacist and allowed by law. Actively and consistently demonstrates the mission, vision, values and guiding principles of Maple Grove Hospital.
What we’ll expect from you
1. Provides support to the pharmacy, under the direction of a pharmacist, while assisting with compounding and dispensing of pharmaceuticals, IV solutions, etc. and documentation as required.
2. Prepares unit doses, and labels individual customer medications for dispensing to the nursing unit; work verified by licensed pharmacist.
3. Fills individual customer medication orders working from a medication fill list; acknowledges filling of order by initialing work done.
4. Picks up and delivers medications; assures that the nursing staff is informed of the delivery; removes discontinued medications from the nursing units, communicating this to the nursing staff.
5. Responds to “STAT” orders and delivers same.
6. Performs controlled substance delivery to each nursing unit, being certain accurate records are kept. Ensures pharmacists are aware of any returns, so they are processed accordingly.
7. Prepares IV admixture (IVs, piggybacks) under supervision of licensed pharmacist.
8. Prepares, in accordance with standards of pharmacy practice, compounds for inpatient use under direct pharmacist supervision.
9. Audits medication storage areas for proper storage of medications, dating, and appropriate medication stock. Fills and distributes routine stock orders for customer care areas.
10. Checks and removes expired medications on a routine basis to ensure that no deteriorated medications are in stock. Keeps accurate records of disposed medications.
11. Assists with checking in orders, putting orders away, and filing associated paperwork.
12. Assists with picking up and delivering associated supplies to various nursing units and support services throughout the hospital.
13. Continues to educate by attending in-services and keeping up with policy changes.
14. Maintains competency in caring for customers of all age groups and developmental stages, and maintains competency as specifically indicated by orientation guidelines for a particular unit.
15. Recognizes and complies with legal regulatory, accrediting and procedural requirements related to area of responsibility.
16. Understands and follows principles and standards as outlined in Maple Grove Hospital’s Code of Conduct.
17. Protects customer and team member privacy and only accesses customer and/or team member related information as needed to perform job duties.
18. Reports violations or areas of concern to leader or Corporate Compliance Officer via established methods of communication.
Interested? Here are our requirements
• High school graduate or equivalent is required.
• Completion of a MN Board of Pharmacy approved employer based or vocational or technical training program is required for any pharmacy technician that was initially registered after January 1st, 2013, or who was initially registered prior to the that date but did not maintain continuous registration.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
• One-year hospital pharmacy experience preferred.
• Superior attention to detail, with ability to problem solve effectively.
• Ability to follow policies and procedures, basic math skills, basic typing skills.
• Ability to take initiative, be self-motivated and an independent, accountable, dependable performer.
• Excellent communication skills with demonstrated ability to interact with customers, families, guests, and all levels of team members.
• Effective planning, organizational and detail-oriented skills.
• Solid PC skills to include Epic, Pyxis, MS applications, Internet, etc.
• Demonstrated ability to deal with conflict in a positive manner. Has an awareness of, responds to, and considers the needs, feelings and capabilities of others.
• Strong communication skills with demonstrated ability to express ideas and information clearly and concisely in a manner appropriate to the audience.
• Ability to maintain quality, safety, and infection control standards.
• Ability to be accountable for quality customer service and respond appropriately to a variety of personalities and situations.
• Must be able to read, write and speak effectively in English.
• Minnesota State Board of Pharmacy Technician registration.
• Certified pharmacy technician (CPhT)
Licensure/Certification(s) Mandatory where Applicable
Hours per two week pay period: 48
Shift: Day/Evening/Night 8 hours
Weekend Requirement: Every Other Weekend
Mainly day shifts but hired into rotating shifts with occasional evenings and nights. Do have a mandating process for open night shifts.
Weekend schedule is every other weekend day shift.
Work Group: Maple Grove
Call Requirement: None
Remote or On-site: On-site
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt