About this position
The Emergency Care Center Technician is responsible for assisting the Emergency Care Center team by providing supportive, comforting and compassionate care to customers and families. Receives direction and collaborates with the care team to meet identified goals of the customer, shift, care center, and hospital. Regularly communicates with care team related to progress, concerns, questions, or issues that arise. Actively and consistently demonstrates the mission, vision, values and guiding principles of Maple Grove Hospital.
What we’ll expect from you
1. Monitors customer experience of care and safety through observation and collection of data.
2. Provides supportive, comforting and compassionate care to customers and families.
3. Communicates customer concerns and authorizations related to nursing interventions to assigned RN or Customer Care Facilitator.
4. Collaborates in the planning of customer care.
5. Performs treatments and procedures as required by customer care plan and within the defined scope of practice, including:
a. Preparing customer for examination;
b. Point of Care testing;
c. Administering CPR;
d. Administering EKGs;
e. Caring for wounds of injured customers by cleaning, dressing, and preparing wound laceration repairs for suturing/closure;
f. Performing adult urinary catheterization (age 18 and over).
g. Inserts IV lines, discontinue peripheral IV; confirms placement.
h. Performs phlebotomies.
i. Applying splint per MD orders. Ensures splint is evaluated by emergency physician prior to customer discharge.
j. Assisting Respiratory Care by maintaining oral and nasal airways and mask, appropriate mask sizing and application, bagging intubated customers, and operation of bag valve mask.
k. Performing AED defibrillator.
l. Setting up and assisting MD with special procedures such as insertion of chest tube, central lines, etc.
m. Contributing information about physiological/psychological and future needs of customer in the ECC.
6. Collaborates with customers, families and licensed care providers to encourage customer and family participation in developing care plan.
7. Provides continuity of customer care by partnering with assigned physicians, RN’s, customers, and other care providers.
8. Identifies and responds promptly and effectively to emergent situations.
9. Serves as an advocate for customers, families, peers, and other care providers.
10. Recognizes and complies with legal regulatory, accrediting and procedural requirements related to area of responsibility.
11. Understands and follows principles and standards as outlined in Maple Grove Hospital’s Code of Conduct.
12. Protects customer and team member privacy and only accesses customer and/or team member related information as needed to perform job duties.
13. Reports violations or areas of concern to leader or Corporate Compliance Officer via established methods of communication.
Interested? Here are our requirements
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Successful completion of an EMT program from an accredited school or program.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS
• 1 + years’ experience as a nursing assistant, EMT in a clinic or hospital setting, or EMT in an EMS Service preferred.
• Emergency department-specific experience desired.
• Ability to be anticipatory to the needs of the customer; to take initiative, be self-motivated and a proactive, independent, accountable, dependable performer.
• Demonstrated ability to deal with conflict in a positive manner. Has an awareness of, responds to, and considers the needs, feelings and capabilities of others.
• Strong communication skills with demonstrated ability to express ideas and information (both in written and oral form) clearly and concisely in a manner appropriate to the audience.
• Ability to be accountable for quality customer service and respond appropriately to a variety of personalities and situations.
• Ability to maintain quality, safety and infection control standards.
• Must be able to read, write and speak effectively in English.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
• Knowledge of nursing theory and practice and primary care principles and practices.
• Current BLS certification required.
• Current MN EMT Certification or be able to obtain within 30 days of hire date.
Hours per two week pay period: 56
Shift: Evening/Night 8 hours
Weekend Requirement: Every Other Weekend
Work Group: Maple Grove
Call Requirement: Occasional Call