About this position
The Laboratory Care Technician performs laboratory specimen collection and provides for safe and secure specimen handling and point of care testing. The Laboratory Care Technician continuously works towards providing quality service improvement and optimum support to the department and team members in achieving Maple Grove Hospital’s goals. Actively and consistently demonstrates the mission, vision, values and guiding principles of Maple Grove Hospital.
What we’ll expect from you
SPECIMEN COLLECTION, HANDLING AND PROCESSING:
1. Performs specimen collection utilizing appropriate technique and equipment, follows department policies and procedures, and labels specimens following established policies and procedures.
o Including; Waived Testing (Night LCT Staff Only)
2. Transports specimens under proper conditions and in a timely and safe manner.
3. Accurately performs computer data entry of specimens and computer related duties as needed.
4. Monitors computer logs for incomplete work.
1. Maintains inventory and places orders as needed to ensure proper levels of phlebotomy supplies. Reports orders placed and/or issues concerning quality of supplies to Laboratory Manger.
1. Recognizes and complies with legal regulatory, accrediting and procedural requirements related to area of responsibility.
2. Adheres to safety protocols and follows infection control guidelines.
3. Adjusts approach in providing care or service to meet the developmental and/or cultural needs of the customer being served.
1. Completion of a minimum of 6 hours of continuing education hours annually.
2. Assists in the orientation and training of new team members and students as directed by Laboratory Manager or Lab Lead.
3. Participates in all required in-service training, laboratory meetings and other additional assigned training.
4. Maintains skill proficiency, including improvement where deemed necessary and attains new skills as required.
5. Recognizes and complies with legal regulatory, accrediting and procedural requirements related to area of responsibility.
6. Understands and follows principles and standards as outlined in Maple Grove Hospital’s Code of Conduct.
7. Protects customer and team member privacy and only accesses customer and/or team member related information as needed to perform job duties.
8. Reports violations or areas of concern to leader or Corporate Compliance Officer via established methods of communication.
Interested? Here are our requirements
• High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) required.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
• Minimum one-year experience in a hospital or clinic setting preferred.
• Superior ability to multi-task, prioritize multiple projects, adjust to changing workflow and workload accordingly.
• Ability to take initiative, be self-motivated and an independent, accountable, dependable performer.
• Strong communication skills with demonstrated ability to express ideas and information (both in written and oral form), clearly and concisely in a manner appropriate to the audience.
• Demonstrated ability to deal with conflict in a positive manner. Has an awareness of, responds to, and considers the needs, feelings and capabilities of others.
• Ability to be accountable for quality customer service and respond appropriately to a variety of personalities and situations.
• Ability to maintain quality, safety, and infection control standards.
• Must be able to read, write and speak effectively in English.
• Completion of Phlebotomy Certification preferred.
Hours per two week pay period: 48
Shift: Nights 8 & 12 hours
Weekend Requirement: Every Other Weekend
Work Group: Maple Grove
Call Requirement: Occasional Call