About this position
The Nursing Assistant is responsible for assisting the care team by providing supportive, comforting and compassionate care to customers and families. Receives direction and collaborates with the care team to meet identified goals of the customer, shift, care center, and hospital. Regularly communicates with care team related to progress, concerns, questions, or issues that arise. Duties may vary based on the assigned customer care center and may include differences in clinical skills required of the Nursing Assistant. Actively and consistently demonstrates the mission, vision, values and guiding principles of Maple Grove Hospital.
What we’ll expect from you
1. Monitors customer care experience and safety through observation, collection of data and documents accurately and promptly.
2. Promotes and maintains a safe environment including infection prevention practices, i.e. hand hygiene, and accountability of self and others.
3. Provides supportive, comforting and compassionate care to customers and families.
4. Communicates customer concerns and authorizations related to nursing interventions to assigned RN or Customer Care Facilitator.
5. Collaborates in the planning of customer care.
6. Performs treatments and procedures as required by customer care plan and within the defined scope of practice including; point of care testing.
7. Collaborates with customers, families and licensed care providers to encourage customer and family participation in developing care plan.
8. Provides continuity of customer care by partnering with assigned physician, RN, customers, and other care providers.
9. Identifies and responds promptly and effectively to emergent situations.
10. Serves as an advocate for customers, families, peers, and other care providers.
11. Recognizes and complies with legal regulatory, accrediting and procedural requirements related to area of responsibility.
12. Understands and follows principles and standards as outlined in Maple Grove Hospital’s Code of Conduct.
13. Protects customer and team member privacy and only accesses customer and/or team member related information as needed to perform job duties.
14. Reports violations or areas of concern to leader or Corporate Compliance Officer via established methods of communication.
15. Assists with admission process by; Orienting customers to room and unit, assists customers with proper storage of valuables, and belongings. Identifies and applies appropriate customer risk bands per policy
16. Assists with End of Life process by; performing postmortem care of the customers as per policy
17. Obtains Vital Signs; Blood pressure - automated and manual, Temperature – oral, Pulse, Respirations, Oxygen saturations, comfort rating as per order. Also upon RN delegation for times other than those that are ordered
18. Timely7 notification to RN of abnormal findings (VS that turn RED in Epic when entered, etc.)
19. Performs routine ADLs per shift including daily hygiene and urinary catheter care
20. Uses customer assistive devices (glasses, hearing aids, walkers, etc)
21. Performs range of motion exercises and ambulation as ordered
22. Assists at meal times with identified customer needs
23. Completes admission & daily weights
24. Measures and documents customers intake/output
25. Uses non-pharmacological interventions to help support pain management as delegated by RN
26. Uses de-escalation techniques & interventions as needed after close observation training
27. Completes Elopement Protocol/Linens as per policy
28. Follows Suicide Precautions as per policy
29. Performs 1:1 observation as per policy
30. Performs Blood glucose point of care testing
31. Applies pneumoboots/anti-embolic devices, heat/cold packs, and ECG/telemetry patch applications
32. Removes urinary catheters and peripheral saline lock as delegated by RN
33. Obtains, labels, and transports specimens as per policy
34. Assists with Oxygen therapy - help customers with refitting nasal cannula or mask and locating portable oxygen as needed
35. Prepares rooms for new customers
36. Assists with cleaning of supplies and equipment
37. Assists with maintaining unit order, including utility room order, customer room trash/linen and nurse service supplies
38. Utilizes the following equipment:
o Customers beds and carts
o Bladder scanners
o Vital sign monitors
o Pneumatic Tube Use
o Safe-T-pump, including nightly maintenance
o Safe Customer Handling Equipment (Hoyer Lift, Hover Matt, Stand Aid)
o Specialty bed/mattress
Interested? Here are our requirements
High school diploma or equivalent.
Must have one of the following:
• Successful completion of a Certified Nursing Assistant program from an accredited school or program, or equivalent certification per care center area;
• Successful completion of state of MN administered certification exam for nursing assistants; and/or
• Completion of one (1) semester of clinical rotation within an accredited nursing program.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS
• 1+ years’ nursing assistant experience in a clinic, hospital or nursing home setting preferred.
• Ability to be anticipatory to the needs of the customer; to take initiative, be self-motivated and a proactive, independent, accountable, dependable performer.
• Strong communication skills with demonstrated ability to express ideas and information (both in written and oral form), clearly and concisely in a manner appropriate to the audience.
• Demonstrated ability to deal with conflict in a positive manner. Has an awareness of, responds to, and considers the needs, feelings and capabilities of others.
• Ability to be accountable for quality customer service and respond appropriately to a variety of personalities and situations.
• Ability to maintain quality, safety, and infection control standards.
• Must be able to read, write and speak effectively in English.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
• Knowledge of nursing theory and practice and primary care principles and practices.
• Current BLS certification required.
Hours per two week pay period: 56
Shift: Evening/Night 8 & 12 hours
Weekend Requirement: Every 3rd Weekend
Work Group: Maple Grove
Call Requirement: Occasional Call