About this position
The Registered Nurse (RN) is responsible for providing compassionate quality care that is customer and family focused. The RN assesses, diagnoses, plans, implements, evaluates, and documents care of customers according to hospital and care center policies and standards of professional nursing practices. The RN is accountable for the quality of nursing services delivered. The RN defines, implements, and improves practice standards and environment of care while promoting exceptional customer care. Duties may vary based on the assigned customer care center which may include differences in the required specific clinical skills. Actively and consistently demonstrates the mission, vision, values and guiding principles of Maple Grove Hospital.
What we’ll expect from you
1. Assesses care needs of customers and families utilizing the nursing process; determines nursing diagnosis focused on care and identifies customer outcomes; develops customer care plan; implements and continuously evaluates the care plan; ensures customers are discharged with resolved educational needs.
2. Develops care plan and interventions based on available evidence/research data.
3. Partners with customers, families, peers, and other care providers to deliver continuity of customer care.
4. Evaluates safety, effectiveness, availability, and cost when opting between practice options that will deliver the same customer outcome.
5. Delegates tasks per the expectations defined by the state nurse practice act based on the knowledge, skills and abilities of the designated caregiver.
6. Identifies and responds promptly to emergency situations.
7. Serves as an advocate for customers, families, peers, and other care providers.
8. Evaluates quality and effectiveness of care provided to the customer and promotes quality improvement and shared accountability. Participates in care center based and hospital quality improvement initiatives.
9. Pursues own professional development and supports developmental activities of team members.
10. Participates in orientation, education and development programs for self and others as appropriate.
11. Recognizes and complies with legal regulatory, accrediting and procedural requirements related to area of responsibility.
12. Understands and follows principles and standards as outlined in Maple Grove Hospital's Code of Conduct.
13. Protects customer and team member privacy and only accesses customer and/or team member related information as needed to perform job duties.
14. Reports violations or areas of concern to leader or Corporate Compliance Officer via established methods of communication.
15. Reviews maternal prenatal history and collects current signs/symptoms of the newborn.
16. Consults and coordinates with health care team members to assess, plan, implement and evaluate customer plan of care.
17. Performs transition, admission, discharge and transfer assessments while considering both physical and psychosocial elements of newborn and family.
18. Recognizes risk factors, change in status and interventions appropriate for newborn care.
19. Initiates corrective action whenever information from monitoring equipment shows adverse symptomatology of the newborn.
20. Manages basic life support needs and stabilizes newborn until the physician or NNP is available, based upon nursing standards and protocol.
21. Records customer’s vital signs, assessments, patient care and interventions as ordered.
22. Works directly with physicians and NNP, assisting them during exams, diagnostic testing, treatments and interventions.
23. Participates and collaborates in multidisciplinary rounds.
24. Prepares and administers (orally, subcutaneously, IM and IV) medications and records prescribed medications.
25. Reports adverse reactions to medications or treatments in accordance with the policy.
26. Demonstrates phlebotomy skills.
27. Provides IV therapy.
28. Provides bedside care.
29. Performs Point of Care testing.
30. Operates, maintains and discontinues proper supplies and appropriate medical equipment to care for customers.
31. Reports any suspected abuse to the appropriate agencies.
32. Initiates family education plan, as prescribed by physician. Teaches families and significant others how to manage their newborn’s care or illness by explaining: post-treatment home care needs, diet/nutrition/exercise programs, self-administration of medication and rehabilitation, as well as provides referrals to other healthcare professionals for follow-up treatment.
33. Displays professionalism while completing multiple urgent tasks in a timely manner.
34. Records all care information concisely, accurately and completely, in a timely manner, in the appropriate format in Epic.
Interested? Here are our requirements
Associates Degree in Nursing; Bachelor's Degree in nursing preferred.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
• Minimum of one-year RN experience in a hospital setting preferred. Minimum one-year specialty experience preferred when working in one of the specialty areas of Intensive Care, Emergency Care, Labor & Delivery, Post-Partum, NICU, Pediatrics, Operating Room, or PCC/PACU.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain composure in high stress situations, acts quickly in response to critical situations. Solid PC skills to include MS applications, Internet, etc.
• Strong communication skills with demonstrated ability to express ideas and information (both in written and oral form), clearly and concisely in a manner appropriate to the audience.
• Demonstrated ability to deal with conflict in a positive manner. Has an awareness of, responds to, and considers the needs, feelings and capabilities of others.
• Ability to be accountable for quality customer service and respond appropriately to a variety of personalities and situations.
• Ability to maintain quality, safety, and infection control standards.
• Must be able to read, write and speak effectively in English.
• Current licensure and registration as an RN in the State of MN. Current BLS certification for all areas of nursing practice required.
• NICU– NRP
Hours per two week pay period: 48
Shift: Day/Night 12 hours
Weekend Requirement: Every 3rd Weekend
Work Group: Maple Grove
Call Requirement: Occasional Call