About this position
The Financial Advocate's primary function is to perform a thorough financial screening of customers. The Financial Advocate is also Maple Grove Hospital's primary contact for customer education in areas of insurance
benefits, levels of coverage, and billing and collection processes. Responsibilities include ensuring that
all accounts have been cleared for billing, obtaining insurance authorization for services, securing
payment arrangements (including collection of co-payment/coinsurance) prior to customer discharge and for
major outpatient services, identification of other potential payment sources (including Financial
Assistance program, initiating/completing the Medical Assistance application process), and providing
cost estimates. Actively and consistently demonstrates the mission, vision, values and guiding principles of Maple Grove Hospital.
What we’ll expect from you
1. Communicates Maple Grove Hospital's financial policy to the customer and/or customer's family representative regarding the specific level of insurance benefit coverage and estimated customer liability.
2. Secures payment arrangements (including collection of co-payments/coinsurance) prior to customer discharge and for major outpatient services.
3. Works collaboratively with other disciplines (social services, case management, customer accounting) in assessing the financial needs of the customer and other possible resources for payment.
4. Maintains advanced working knowledge and understanding of insurance eligibility and benefits to determine principle payers and coordination of benefits for all insurance products.
5. Ensures that all accounts have been cleared for billing to include, but not limited to, verifying the accuracy of the customer's insurance and securing authorizations/certifications if needed.
6. Documents all action performed on accounts by entering Hospital Account Notes in EPIC.
7. Initiates Maple Grove Hospital's Financial Assistance process when applicable by obtaining the customer's financial status and exhausting all other payment sources.
8. Collaborates with department management to identify training and process improvement opportunities.
9. Possesses ability to explain remittance advices and to handle customer billing complaints with proper resolution.
10. Recognizes and complies with legal regulatory, accrediting and procedural requirements related to area of responsibility.
11. Understands and follows principles and standards as outlined in Maple Grove Hospital's Code of Conduct.
12. Protects customer and team member privacy and only accesses customer and/or team member related information as needed to perform job duties.
13. Reports violations or areas of concern to leader or Corporate Compliance Officer via established methods of communication.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
• Serves as a back-up to Guest Services Representative in his/her absence.
Interested? Here are our requirements
• High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
• 2+ years' experience in customer registration, customer accounting, or healthcare related position.
• Ability to handle stressful situations and maintain composure in presence of customers, families, guests, and team members.
• Solid PC skills to include MS applications, Internet, EMR, etc.
• Strong communication skills with demonstrated ability to express ideas and information (both in written and oral form), clearly and concisely in a manner appropriate to the audience.
• Demonstrated ability to deal with conflict in a positive manner. Has an awareness of, responds to, and considers the needs, feelings and capabilities of others.
• Ability to be accountable for quality customer service and respond appropriately to a variety of personalities and situations.
• Ability to maintain quality, safety, and infection control standards.
• Must be able to read, write and speak effectively in English.
Hours per two week pay period: 40
Shift: Day/Evening 4 & 8 hours
Weekend Requirement: Every Other Weekend
Work Group: Maple Grove
Call Requirement: Occasional Call